The growers have spoken! Our friends at Little Valley Wholesale Nursery in Brighton, CO have created this year’s first and second Xeric Greatest Hits Gardens. Rather than a traditional Garden In A Box with a set plant by number design, this garden provides individual plants to fill in the gaps and holes in your existing landscape. Featuring the Nursery’s favorite Xeric perennials, the Xeric Greatest Hits Garden includes 14 plants that are extremely low-maintenance, easy to grow, and thrive in our dry and sometimes unpredictable Colorado climate. Add a burst color with the cheerful Black-Eyed Susans, incorporate a carpet of bright green in summer that transitions to deep crimson in fall with the Dragon’s Blood Stonecrop, or plant an ornamental wonder that you can eat: Sea Kale. This garden will make it easy to add a splash of color and to customize your water savings just where you need it!
- 14 starter plants with 7 different varieties in 4-inch pots
- Plant as you wish! Plant by number layout not included.
- Exposure: Full Sun (Requires a minimum of 6 hrs. of Full Sun per day)
- Mature Height: 2 in. to 5 ft.
- Hardy To: 6,000 feet
- Colorful: Late Spring to Early Fall
- Benefits: Locally grown and pollinator friendly
What To Expect
- Xeric Gardens feature anywhere from 14 to 29 starter plants in 4-inch pots. Plants will be small relative to their mature size, and they will not be in full bloom.
- During the 1st and 2nd growing season, your Xeric plants will be in the establishment phase – requiring regular watering to encourage a deep taproot system, and not yet having reached their full size.
- On average, allow 3 years for your Xeriscape garden to reach full maturity!
- Gardens will easily fit in a small car. One garden will come in either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (pictured left).
Garden Varieties / Plant Specifics
Dwarf Red Fall Aster
Dragon's Blood Stonecrop
Attracts: Birds, Butterflies
Elijah Blue Fescue Grass
Dwarf Fountain Grass
Red Coral Bells
Most simply put, “Garden In A Box” is an easy, professionally designed, do it yourself Xeric (low water) perennial or veggie garden kit.
Gardens include 14-30 starter plants that come in either 4-inch or 2.5-inch pots. These plants come in rectangular 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (see photo below), and will be hardened-off and ready to plant when you pick them up!
Each garden also includes 1-3 professionally designed plant by number maps that make it easy to install your own perennial or vegetable garden at home, and a comprehensive Plant and Care Guide that includes everything you will need to know to prepare for, plant, and maintain your new garden.
All gardens will be available for pick up at one of our convenient distribution locations during the months of May and early June. (For the complete 2017 Garden In A Box pick up schedule, see below.) To select your pick up, you must “Proceed to Checkout” on our online store where you will then be prompted to select your pick up location, date, and time. We do not ship our plants.
You may be eligible for a $25 discount on our pre-planned Xeriscape garden collection through your water provider. To claim your discount you will have to first “Proceed to Check Out” in the garden store where you will be prompted to select your water provider. Your discount(s) should then automatically be applied to your order.
Note: The Xeric Greatest Hits garden is NOT eligible for the $25 discount.
Discounts are limited, so make sure you order your garden sooner rather than later!
The Xeric Greatest Hits garden is not eligible for the $25 discount.
- Saturday May 6th
- Boulder County, ReSource, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, Boulder, 9am-12pm
- Arvada/Westminster, Municipal Service Center, 6575 W 88th Ave, Westminster, 9am-12pm
- Thursday May 11th
- Loveland, Loveland Service Center, 200 North Wilson Ave, 4-7pm
- Saturday May 13th
- Golden, Public Works/Planning Office, 1445 10th St, 9am-12pm
- Longmont, Izaak Walton Clubhouse, 18 S. Sunset St, 9am-12pm
- South Denver/Highlands Ranch, Greenwood Village City Hall, 6060 S. Quebec St, 9am-12pm
- Thursday May 18th
- Adams County (Thornton, Northglenn, Brighton), Adams County Fairgrounds, North Parking Lot at Waymire Dome, 9755 Henderson Rd, Brighton, CO 80601, 4-7pm
- Saturday May 20th
- Denver, Auraria Campus, Elm Parking Lot, 1201 5th St, 9am-12pm
- Boulder County, JAX Mercantile, 400 W South Boulder Rd, Lafayette, 9am-12pm
- Greeley and Windsor, Greeley Xeric Garden, 2503 Reservoir Rd, 9am-12pm
- Wednesday May 24th
- Arvada, Majestic View Nature Center, 7030 Garrison St, 4-7pm
- Thursday May 25th
- Denver, Force Elementary School, 1550 S. Wolff St, 4-7pm
- Thursday June 1st
- Boulder County, ReSource, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, Boulder, 4-7pm
- Saturday June 3rd
- Castle Rock, Castle Rock Water, 175 Kellogg Court, 9am-12pm
- Denver, Edison Elementary School, 3350 Quitman St, 9am-12pm
- Fort Collins, Front Range Community College, 4616 S. Shields Street, 9am-12pm
Absolutely. Just make sure that they know the first and last name on the order and what exactly you ordered.
No, not exactly. Your Garden In A Box can easily be planted in a raised bed or garden “box,” but it does not include an actual box to plant the garden in. For full details on what your Garden In A Box does include, see above – “What is a ‘Garden In A Box’ and what does it include?”
Probably, but this will depend on how many gardens you have purchased. Each garden will come with either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays of plants, so please plan accordingly.
Gardens with one 2 ft. x 1 ft. tray:
• Pollinators’ Paradise
• Xeric Greatest Hits
• Spaghetti Dinner
Gardens with two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays:
• Sunset Garden
• Honey Bee Heaven
• Rocky Mountain Retreat
• Seasons of Shade
All our plants are born and raised in Colorado. Our perennial plants come from Little Valley Wholesale Nursery in Brighton, one of the largest and most reputable nurseries in Colorado, and Gulley Greenhouse in Fort Collins. Our all-organic vegetable plants are grown at Elliott Gardens in Denver.
No. None of our plants have ever been treated with neonicotinoids.
What Customers Say
Very good experience. Easy ordering and quick pickup with friendly people. Our Garden In A Box plants from 2015 are thriving this year.
City of Greeley Customer
Create a Unique Garden with Ease
We are extremely satisfied with our garden and the materials provided along with the plants. I love that our garden now has low water usage plants that are not as common as some of the other plants frequently used in front range landscaping. I feel like the design is thoughtfully done and I learned a lot! Thank you! We have been telling all of our neighbors about the Garden In A Box program for next year.
City of Loveland Customer
Pleasant Experience All Around
The quality and variety of the plants was excellent, and the accompanying information about the plants was very helpful. Impressed with the efficient pick up experience, as well.
City of Arvada Customer