Bring your landscape to life with the Sunset Garden! This garden offers a selection of colorful perennials hand-selected for their likeness to the sun’s brilliant evening rays. The seamless stream of violet-purples, rich pinks, oranges, golds, and yellows featured in this garden evoke the majestic beauty of the setting sun. A serious feast for the eyes, this garden is also a delightful treat for our pollinator friends: birds, bees, and butterflies! The Sunset Garden fills 100 square feet and showcases 28 full sun Xeric plants.
- Covers: 100 sq. ft.
- 28 starter plants with 11 different varieties in 4-inch pots
- 1 plant by number layout option (20 ft. x 5 ft. rectangle)
- Exposure: Full Sun (requires a minimum of 6 hours per day)
- Mature Height: 6 in. to 4 ft.
- Hardy To: 6,500 ft.
- Colorful: Early summer to fall
- Benefits: Locally grown and pollinator friendly
What To Expect
- Xeric Gardens feature anywhere from 14 to 29 starter plants in 4-inch pots. Plants will be small relative to their mature size, and they will not be in full bloom.
- During the 1st and 2nd growing season, your Xeric plants will be in the establishment phase – requiring regular watering to encourage a deep taproot system, and not yet having reached their full size.
- On average, allow 3 years for your Xeriscape garden to reach full maturity!
- Gardens will easily fit in a small car. One garden will come in either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (pictured left).
Garden Varieties / Plant Specifics
Himalayan Border Jewel
Powis Castle Sage
Attracts: Butterflies, Hummingbirds
Korean Feather Reed Grass
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies
Yellow Prairie Coneflower
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies, Birds
Six Hills Giant Catmint
Attracts: Butterflies, Hummingbirds
Double Bubblemint Hyssop
Most simply put, “Garden In A Box” is an easy, professionally designed, do it yourself Xeric (low water) perennial or veggie garden kit.
Gardens include 14-30 starter plants that come in either 4-inch or 2.5-inch pots. These plants come in rectangular 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (see photo below), and will be hardened-off and ready to plant when you pick them up!
Each garden also includes 1-3 professionally designed plant by number maps that make it easy to install your own perennial or vegetable garden at home, and a comprehensive Plant and Care Guide that includes everything you will need to know to prepare for, plant, and maintain your new garden.
All gardens will be available for pick up at one of our convenient distribution locations during the months of May and early June. (For the complete 2017 Garden In A Box pick up schedule, see below.) To select your pick up, you must “Proceed to Checkout” on our online store where you will then be prompted to select your pick up location, date, and time. We do not ship our plants.
You may be eligible for a $25 discount on our pre-planned Xeriscape garden collection through your water provider. To claim your discount you will have to first “Proceed to Check Out” in the garden store where you will be prompted to select your water provider. Your discount(s) should then automatically be applied to your order.
Discounts are limited, so make sure you order your garden sooner rather than later!
Residents in participating cities can receive a $25 discount on Xeric gardens as long as discounts are still available.
2017 Participating cities include:
- Arvada (SOLD OUT)
- Boulder (SOLD OUT)
- Brighton (SOLD OUT)
- Castle Rock (SOLD OUT)
- Centennial Water (SOLD OUT)
- Denver (SOLD OUT)
- Erie (SOLD OUT)
- Fort Collins (SOLD OUT)
- Golden (SOLD OUT)
- Greeley (SOLD OUT)
- Lafayette (SOLD OUT)
- Longmont (SOLD OUT)
- Louisville (SOLD OUT)
- Northglenn (SOLD OUT)
- Thornton (SOLD OUT)
- Westminster (SOLD OUT)
Whether you reside in a participating city or not, you may purchase a garden without the discount.
- Saturday May 6th
- Boulder County, ReSource, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, Boulder, 9am-12pm
- Arvada/Westminster, Municipal Service Center, 6575 W 88th Ave, Westminster, 9am-12pm
- Thursday May 11th
- Loveland, Loveland Service Center, 200 North Wilson Ave, 4-7pm
- Saturday May 13th
- Golden, Public Works/Planning Office, 1445 10th St, 9am-12pm
- Longmont, Izaak Walton Clubhouse, 18 S. Sunset St, 9am-12pm
- South Denver/Highlands Ranch, Greenwood Village City Hall, 6060 S. Quebec St, 9am-12pm
- Thursday May 18th
- Adams County (Thornton, Northglenn, Brighton), Adams County Fairgrounds, North Parking Lot at Waymire Dome, 9755 Henderson Rd, Brighton, CO 80601, 4-7pm
- Saturday May 20th
- Denver, Auraria Campus, Elm Parking Lot, 1201 5th St, 9am-12pm
- Boulder County, JAX Mercantile, 400 W South Boulder Rd, Lafayette, 9am-12pm
- Greeley and Windsor, Greeley Xeric Garden, 2503 Reservoir Rd, 9am-12pm
- Wednesday May 24th
- Arvada, Majestic View Nature Center, 7030 Garrison St, 4-7pm
- Thursday May 25th
- Denver, Force Elementary School, 1550 S. Wolff St, 4-7pm
- Thursday June 1st
- Boulder County, ReSource, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, Boulder, 4-7pm
- Saturday June 3rd
- Castle Rock, Castle Rock Water, 175 Kellogg Court, 9am-12pm
- Denver, Edison Elementary School, 3350 Quitman St, 9am-12pm
- Fort Collins, Front Range Community College, 4616 S. Shields Street, 9am-12pm
Absolutely. Just make sure that they know the first and last name on the order and what exactly you ordered.
No, not exactly. Your Garden In A Box can easily be planted in a raised bed or garden “box,” but it does not include an actual box to plant the garden in. For full details on what your Garden In A Box does include, see above – “What is a ‘Garden In A Box’ and what does it include?”
Probably, but this will depend on how many gardens you have purchased. Each garden will come with either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays of plants, so please plan accordingly.
Gardens with one 2 ft. x 1 ft. tray:
• Pollinators’ Paradise
• Xeric Greatest Hits
• Spaghetti Dinner
Gardens with two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays:
• Sunset Garden
• Honey Bee Heaven
• Rocky Mountain Retreat
• Seasons of Shade
All our plants are born and raised in Colorado. Our perennial plants come from Little Valley Wholesale Nursery in Brighton, one of the largest and most reputable nurseries in Colorado, and Gulley Greenhouse in Fort Collins. Our all-organic vegetable plants are grown at Elliott Gardens in Denver.
No. None of our plants have ever been treated with neonicotinoids.
What Customers Say
So easy and the plants are very healthy
I am very lucky to have been able to purchase my Garden In A Box. All the instructions on how and where to plant were very easy to understand. My plants are growing very nicely and are healthy... Thank you.
City of Arvada Customer
Overall a great experience
So far very pleased with the plant vitality and appearance; looking forward to see how it matures. The example layouts were helpful. Center personnel at the pick-up event were knowledgeable and enthusiastic.
City of Arvada Customer
What a blast!
I hadn't had a garden in over 35 years so I had a blast last year planting veggies and perennials. The perennials have really taken off this year. I planted the Victory Garden this year, which the rabbits seem to be enjoying (!) and another Shades of Summer perennial garden where I took out a giant pine tree in my front yard. So I'm looking forward to watching it grow. Now I'm considering taking out more grass next year and putting raised garden boxes to fill up my back yard. The layout guides are so helpful for the new gardener in me. Thank you!
Centennial Water Customer