Due to record breaking garden sales, we have added a brand new part shade garden to keep up with demand – Mountain Moonlight!
Adding life and beauty to the part sun/part shade areas of your landscape, the Mountain Moonlight Garden offers unique Xeric perennials that stand out in a crowd. The striking purples and blues of the Crystal River Speedwell, Pike’s Peak Penstemon, and Alpine Aster resemble the moonlight glistening on a tranquil mountain lake. The blooming McKana Columbine adds an explosion of color dancing in the moonlight with its assortment of pastel bi-colored flowers of reds, yellows, pinks, and whites. The Korean Feather Reed Grass is the backdrop, a whimsical display of feathery plumes that sway to and fro with the wind. The Mountain Moonlight Garden covers 60 square feet and features 18 show-stopping perennials!
- Covers: 60 sq. ft.
- 18 starter plants with 7 different varieties in 4-inch pots
- 1 plant by number layout option (10’ x 6' rectangle)
- Exposure: Part Shade (requires a minimum of 4 hours of Partial Sun per day)
- Mature Height: 2 in. to 4 ft.
- Hardy To: 7,000 feet
- Colorful: Spring to Late Summer
- Benefits: Locally grown and pollinator friendly
What To Expect
- Xeric Gardens feature anywhere from 14 to 29 starter plants in 4-inch pots. Plants will be small relative to their mature size, and they will not be in full bloom.
- During the 1st and 2nd growing season, your Xeric plants will be in the establishment phase – requiring regular watering to encourage a deep taproot system, and not yet having reached their full size.
- On average, allow 3 years for your Xeriscape garden to reach full maturity!
- Gardens will easily fit in a small car. One garden will come in either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (pictured left).
Garden Varieties / Plant Specifics
Petite Delight Bee Balm
McKana Hybrids Columbine
Korean Feather Reed Grass
Pike's Peak Penstemon
Crystal River Speedwell
Most simply put, “Garden In A Box” is an easy, professionally designed, do it yourself Xeric (low water) perennial or veggie garden kit.
Gardens include 14-30 starter plants that come in either 4-inch or 2.5-inch pots. These plants come in rectangular 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (see photo below), and will be hardened-off and ready to plant when you pick them up!
Each garden also includes 1-3 professionally designed plant by number maps that make it easy to install your own perennial or vegetable garden at home, and a comprehensive Plant and Care Guide that includes everything you will need to know to prepare for, plant, and maintain your new garden.
All gardens will be available for pick up at one of our convenient distribution locations during the months of May and early June. (For the complete 2017 Garden In A Box pick up schedule, see below.) To select your pick up, you must “Proceed to Checkout” on our online store where you will then be prompted to select your pick up location, date, and time. We do not ship our plants.
You may be eligible for a $25 discount on our pre-planned Xeriscape garden collection through your water provider. To claim your discount you will have to first “Proceed to Check Out” in the garden store where you will be prompted to select your water provider. Your discount(s) should then automatically be applied to your order.
Discounts are limited, so make sure you order your garden sooner rather than later!
Residents in participating cities can receive a $25 discount on Xeric gardens as long as discounts are still available.
2017 Participating cities include:
- Arvada (SOLD OUT)
- Boulder (SOLD OUT)
- Brighton (SOLD OUT)
- Castle Rock (SOLD OUT)
- Centennial Water (SOLD OUT)
- Denver (SOLD OUT)
- Erie (SOLD OUT)
- Fort Collins (SOLD OUT)
- Golden (SOLD OUT)
- Greeley (SOLD OUT)
- Lafayette (SOLD OUT)
- Longmont (SOLD OUT)
- Louisville (SOLD OUT)
- Northglenn (SOLD OUT)
- Thornton (SOLD OUT)
- Westminster (SOLD OUT)
Whether you reside in a participating city or not, you may purchase a garden without the discount.
- Saturday May 6th
- Boulder County, ReSource, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, Boulder, 9am-12pm
- Arvada/Westminster, Municipal Service Center, 6575 W 88th Ave, Westminster, 9am-12pm
- Thursday May 11th
- Loveland, Loveland Service Center, 200 North Wilson Ave, 4-7pm
- Saturday May 13th
- Golden, Public Works/Planning Office, 1445 10th St, 9am-12pm
- Longmont, Izaak Walton Clubhouse, 18 S. Sunset St, 9am-12pm
- South Denver/Highlands Ranch, Greenwood Village City Hall, 6060 S. Quebec St, 9am-12pm
- Thursday May 18th
- Adams County (Thornton, Northglenn, Brighton), Adams County Fairgrounds, North Parking Lot at Waymire Dome, 9755 Henderson Rd, Brighton, CO 80601, 4-7pm
- Saturday May 20th
- Denver, Auraria Campus, Elm Parking Lot, 1201 5th St, 9am-12pm
- Boulder County, JAX Mercantile, 400 W South Boulder Rd, Lafayette, 9am-12pm
- Greeley and Windsor, Greeley Xeric Garden, 2503 Reservoir Rd, 9am-12pm
- Wednesday May 24th
- Arvada, Majestic View Nature Center, 7030 Garrison St, 4-7pm
- Thursday May 25th
- Denver, Force Elementary School, 1550 S. Wolff St, 4-7pm
- Thursday June 1st
- Boulder County, ReSource, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, Boulder, 4-7pm
- Saturday June 3rd
- Castle Rock, Castle Rock Water, 175 Kellogg Court, 9am-12pm
- Denver, Edison Elementary School, 3350 Quitman St, 9am-12pm
- Fort Collins, Front Range Community College, 4616 S. Shields Street, 9am-12pm
Absolutely. Just make sure that they know the first and last name on the order and what exactly you ordered.
No, not exactly. Your Garden In A Box can easily be planted in a raised bed or garden “box,” but it does not include an actual box to plant the garden in. For full details on what your Garden In A Box does include, see above – “What is a ‘Garden In A Box’ and what does it include?”
Probably, but this will depend on how many gardens you have purchased. Each garden will come with either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays of plants, so please plan accordingly.
Gardens with one 2 ft. x 1 ft. tray:
• Pollinators’ Paradise
• Xeric Greatest Hits
• Spaghetti Dinner
Gardens with two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays:
• Sunset Garden
• Honey Bee Heaven
• Rocky Mountain Retreat
• Seasons of Shade
All our plants are born and raised in Colorado. Our perennial plants come from Little Valley Wholesale Nursery in Brighton, one of the largest and most reputable nurseries in Colorado, and Gulley Greenhouse in Fort Collins. Our all-organic vegetable plants are grown at Elliott Gardens in Denver.
No. None of our plants have ever been treated with neonicotinoids.
What Customers Say
Perfect for Shady Areas
I'm so excited to watch my garden grow! I've had a hard time in the past with finding shade loving, low water plants for my yard, so this was perfect!
City of Longmont Customer
Comes With a Helpful Planting Guide
Fabulous program for inexperienced gardeners like myself. The professional design and the planting guide saves so much time to prepare and almost assures success. Would never have tried a project on this scale ever!!!
City of Westminster Customer
Healthy Plants and a Positive Community
I am very pleased with the Garden In a Box. The plants were lovely and are now growing in our yard and look very healthy. My husband and I helped with passing out the gardens to those who ordered them. All the people (Natalie is the only name that I remember) who were involved with this event at Lincoln High School were friendly and easy to work with. Thank you for such a positive event and for these healthy plants.