The ReNew Our Schools Program is an energy conservation competition where schools compete to win a $20,000 prize for energy retrofits for their school. Schools compete by conserving electricity in school and in homes in their community. The competition empowers students to learn real-world energy concepts, work with local energy experts and become leaders in their school community.
Here are the impressive results of the spring 2013 competition:
14 schools competed (over 9,900 students!)
78,000 kWh saved at the schools in 1 month
1,800 households participated in behavioral conservation measures
8,900 kWh of potential savings for suggested improvements to the schools
3 winning schools awarded prize money to make energy efficiency retrofits to their school, such as adding a solar array, solar tubes or switching to more efficient lighting
14 permanent real-time energy monitors installed in competing schools
Here’s what some participants had to say about ReNew Our Schools
“The contest inspired my peers and me to make a difference. It really taught us that even though we may be a small group of people, we can make a huge difference environmentally. -student from Summit Middle School
“Thanks for your time and effort with all of this. It has been a great experience in raising awareness for our club and our entire school.” -teacher from a participating school
- The competition, funded by a private family foundation, has been administered through the Center For ReSource Conservation since 2007. It is a partnership between the CRC, a non-profit environmental organization, and a school district(s). This unique set of partners work together to provide an excellent competition experience for the schools.
The Spring 2014 Competition is hosted here!
2013 Spring Competition Winners
- Erie Elementary School
- Sunset Middle School
- Erie High School
Read our ReNew Our Schools, 2013 white paper report on eGauge.
2011 Awarded Schools and the new energy conservation competition process:
- Summit Middle School http://BVSDSummit.egaug.es/ and watch: Summit’s video
- Erie High School <http://sv-erie-h.egaug.es/>
- Horizons K-8 School http://bvsdhorzns.egaug.es/
- Fairview High School http://bvsdfairvw.egaug.es/
- Coal Ridge Middle School http://sv-coalr-m.egaug.es/
2010 Awarded Schools: View 2010 and earlier winners here.
- Fireside Elementary -Watch Fireside Elemetary ‘Flip the Switch’ video
This video shows the assembly as the school launches their solar program.
- Flatirons Elementary
- Monarch K-8
2009 Awarded Schools:
- Boulder Community School of Integrated Studies/High Peaks (Aurora 7)
- Real-time monitoring of the system: http://egauge137.d.egauge.net/
- Boulder Valley Career and Technical Education Center (BVCTEC)
- Real-time monitoring of the system: http://bvsdhpeaks.d.egauge.net/
Click here to see a slide show of the BCSIS/High Peaks Solar Portfolio.
Hints for Best Viewing of visual media:
1. Please turn the volume UP on your computer
2. Sometimes it helps to let the slideshow “pre-load” by pressing the pause button at the bottom of the screen and waiting 90 seconds and then pressing play.
3. You will need the latest version of Adobe flash player. You can go here to download the latest version: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP